I will be making again. 4B's tomato Soup Original 4B's Homemade Tomato Soup Copykat Recipes heavy cream, margarine, sugar, chopped onion, baking soda, diced tomatoes and 1 more As-Simple-As-It-Gets Homemade Tomato Soup Three Many Cooks Easy and by far the best homemade tomato soup I have ever had. If you are not vegetarian, you can use chicken stock if you prefer. Toast bread slices in your toaster until golden. can of crushed tomatoes instead of tomato juice. In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, saute onions in butter until translucent. You saved Cream of Tomato Soup to your. Return to the heat and add salt and pepper to taste. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Cook for a few minutes, then stir in the passata and vegetable stock. Season with a little salt and pepper and simmer gently 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Panera Creamy Tomato Soup is a vegetarian soup, so I am using vegetable stock for this recipe, if you prefer, you could use chicken stock. Season with a little salt and pepper and simmer gently 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Will definitely make again. I added a carrot, a clove of garlic, and a stalk of celery to the onion sautee and pureed it along with some of the milk and tomato juice before adding it to the roux. Add tomatoes with juices, 1 tsp. Once onions are soft, strain. Okay for the changes I used V8 juice (42oz bottle smallest I could find) so I increased butter and flour to 3T. This was a really good cream of tomato soup recipe! Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Amount is based on available nutrient data. I did not like the chopped onions in it and I am an onion lover! Made the roux with the flour and a little corn meal(masarepa) to make it thicker. My husband who doesn't like tomato soup said it was "munchable" which is a good thing. Cream of tomato soup is much richer and thicker than classic tomato soup. It’s a quick and easy tomato soup made with canned tomatoes, heavy cream… My wife suggested cream of tomato soup and this was my first experience making it. firstly, in a kadai heat 1 tsp butter and saute ½ onion, 2 clove garlic and 1 bay leaf. Serve immediately. Transfer cooled soup … This is delicious and easy to make. Remove from the heat. This soup was fabulous!! He loves it and so does my daughter. No extra salt was required because the tomato juice was salted. Made the roux with the flour and a little corn meal(masarepa) to make it thicker. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. This recipe most decidedly is, although it’s really not that much more work. Add the cream to the soup and stir through, retaining a little if you want to add swirls of cream to the soup for decoration. The tomatoes are blended with garlic, shallot, herbs and broth. Place under hot broiler to melt cheese until toppers are golden brown in color. With an immersion blender, puree soup. Return to the heat and add salt to taste. Combine broth and tomatoes in a medium saucepan over moderate heat. Then I added 1/2 package (8oz) of cream cheese and wisked till smooth. Thanks for sharing this easy recipe. Also substituted some light cream for some of the milk, and served it topped with fresh, chopped basil and fresh black pepper. I added a carrot, a clove of garlic, and a stalk of celery to the onion sautee and pureed it along with some of the milk and tomato juice before adding it to the roux. I think the next time I make this I will add the milk first so it can cook with the roux then add the tomato. Great on a cold, damp day with roasted potato wedges, crusty bread, and green beans. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Homemade Tomato Soup is a classic soup recipe made with fresh ripe tomatoes and fresh herbs blended with a hint of cream.. I pureed the onion too to achieve a smoother textured soup. Serve immediately. Stir in the flour so that no lumps remain, then slowly whisk in the tomato juice. There's almost always more than one way to skin a cat and I kind of took this basic recipe and ran with it. Nothing is simpler or more classic than opening up a can of cream of tomato soup for lunch. Increase heat to high; bring to a … All rights reserved. In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, saute onions in butter until translucent. Cream of tomato soup is still cooked the same way as traditional tomato soup by blending but the cream adds a thickness and richness to the taste and texture. © 2020 Discovery or its subsidiaries and affiliates. Just chop up an onion, maybe a rib of celery, and open up a few cans of tomatoes. It had a few seeds that didn't get pulverized but it certainly didn't hurt the soup at all. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. 1/2 pound shredded cheese to compliment your soup: provolone, Asiago, Cheddar, Gruyere, Swiss, etc. Add the onions and carrots and saute for about 10 minutes, until very tender. Let cool 10 minutes then slowly stir in milk. This is the same recipe I learned in grade 7 home-ec 30 years ago. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, … A creamy soup delight, the Cream of tomato soup is an all time favorite hot soup recipe with the rich taste of fresh plum tomatoes and a dash of cream added as topping. No more Cambells! Campbell's is better! Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Next add in the garlic and stir, cooking for a minute more, then add in the salt, pepper, oregano and sugar. I still made it from the original recipe card. This recipe for tomato soup is not full of all kinds of crazy ingredients. Also I added about 1/4 cup of fresh basil chopped up at the point I added the tomato and I let that cook in with it and I used a pinch of baking soda and a tablespoon of sugar to help reduce the acid in the soup. Although I did change it a little it was still very easy and tasty and every one loved it. Sign up for the Recipe of the Day Newsletter Privacy Policy, Creamy Tomato Soup and Italian Patty Melts, Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Fontina-Mushroom Sandwiches, Sage Pork Chops with Cheddar Cheese Grits (Sponsored). This flavourful and healthy winter special tomato soup can be prepared easily with this quick and tasty soup recipe. We don’t have a bunch of spinach or kale or basil in the mix. I didn't do it this time but you can also substitute whipping cream for the milk to make it a little more rich. Arrange bread on cookie or baking sheet. ‘Cream of’ means cream is added the soup. Classic Tomato Soup. I was surprised at how many rated this so high. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. This tomato soup recipe is made creamy by the addition of heavy cream. Easy to make changes depending on your mood...garlic, fresh tomato, etc. Whisk in cream, if desired; season with salt and pepper. Then I added the juice and brought to a light boil. Stir in the flour so that no lumps remain, then slowly whisk in the tomato juice. I used that instead of juice. Cook until just boiling add cream cheese and whisk until smooth. I sauted the onion and then added the flour and 1 can (14oz) condensed milk (not sweetened). Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Return soup to a clean pot and set over low heat. However I'm sure it would taste fine with store bought. Classic Tomato Soup. I did not care for this at all! All I can say is awesome Julie! I have a very picky little boy. Add the tomatoes and their juice, the water, heavy cream, sugar, crushed red pepper, celery seed and oregano and season with salt and pepper. Simmer tomatoes, onions, sugar, and salt and pepper. The soup was great. This recipe isn’t full of lots of unique ingredients, herbs and spices. Jessie Davidian. Start off with heavy cream in a medium-high heat stockpot, bring the cream to a boil. Gently reheat the cream of tomato soup and serve when it is hot. The fanciest thing I’ve added here is heavy cream … Combine broth and tomatoes in a medium saucepan over moderate heat. It makes the soup much heartier and leaves nice little tomato bits. A frozen pizza darn near takes longer to cook than this. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. I also added a shot of tabasco some garlic powder chicken broth granules instead of salt and plenty of fresh cracked pepper. When soup bubbles, stir in heavy cream and reduce heat to low. Heat a large pot over medium heat with the olive oil. I have a tomato garden in the back yard so I blanched pureed and strained the seeds out to make my own tomato juice. I did use garden tomatoes though. All I can say is why would anyone eat canned soup with this easy recipe. What’s in Panera’s Creamy Tomato Soup. Serve bowls of soup with basil chiffonade and floating Soup Toppers. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Add the tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, basil, chicken stock, salt, and pepper and stir well. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 10 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Velvety rich, jam-packed with flavor, and easy to … So if you’re going to make a homemade version, it had better be worth the extra bother. Return to the heat and add salt to taste. To serve, reheat the soup, stirring in the milk – try not to let it boil. No extra salt was required because the tomato juice was salted. I add the milk after I make the roux and then add a 28oz. Rub the toasted bread rounds with crushed garlic, if using. I've made this 3x and shared the recipe once...I won't buy canned tomato soup again when this is so easy and good. Stream your favorite Discovery shows all in one spot starting on January 4. Drizzle each slice with extra-virgin oil and top with a grind of black pepper and a layer of shredded cheese. I got to thinking - you could do up a big batch of this without the milk freeze it in 2 cup sized leftover containers then reconstitute with milk later. Or cool completely and freeze in rigid containers. Remove from the heat. Add salt and pepper to taste, and stir through. 119 calories; protein 4.4g; carbohydrates 14.3g; fat 5.6g; cholesterol 16.7mg; sodium 494.4mg. Add the chopped tomatoes and sugar and season well with salt and pepper. Stir in the flour so that no lumps remain, then slowly whisk in the tomato juice and evaporated milk. I used 3lbs of fresh tomatoes cored peeled and then I let them run in the food processor on high for 4 minutes. Wow! Add flour and stir until mixture is slightly thickened and pale gold, about 3 minutes; do not allow to … This creamy, warming, tomato soup is the ultimate comfort food when paired with bread, grilled cheese, or simple crackers. My wife suggested cream of tomato soup and this was my first experience making it. This is your classic Campbell’s Tomato Soup kicked up about 10 notches. Additional Tips. Using an immersion blender (or carefully transfer soup to a blender), puree soup until there are no … I substituted V-8 Juice for the tomato juice for a little extra spice and it turned out great. Serve bowls of soup with basil chiffonade and floating Soup Toppers. sugar, and 8 cups water to pot. Excellent, thick and creamy. When soup bubbles, stir in heavy cream and reduce heat to low. Serve immediately or transfer soup to a bowl set over an ice-water bath to cool completely. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Excellent, thick and creamy. Old fashioned easy to make creamy tomato soup that will warm your heart. A touch of tomato paste gives the soup depth, and a swirl of heavy cream (or you could use cashew cream for a non-dairy alternative) rounds out the edges and makes the soup … Also substituted some light cream for some of the milk, and served it topped with fresh, chopped basil and fresh black pepper. Serve in small bowls for the … I used a bit more butter than called for and I used 1/2 1% milk and 1/2 whole milk for a creamier flavor. Info. Add the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened, stirring. I followed the recipe exactly as stated- did not substitute anything so was very dissapointed. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Great on a cold, damp day with roasted potato wedges, crusty bread, and green beans. With an immersion blender, puree soup. In fact, all you need are five ingredients, plus some salt and pepper. But this soup worked like a charm! I like to use heavy cream … Set liquid aside. The soup tastes very good. Vitamix tomato bisque soup. I added the milk and allowed it to cook with the tomato mixture before taking it off of the stove since I didn't want it to get cold. Two 15-ounce containers, chicken or vegetable stock/broth (preferred brand: Kitchen Basics), One 28-ounce can concentrated crushed tomatoes, 20 leaves fresh basil, cut into chiffonade, for garnish, Soup Toppers, for garnish, recipe follows, 4 slices crusty bread, 4 inches across, 1/4-inch thick-slice artisan breads at counter in market. Who needs canned soup!!! Congrats! this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Create your own heart-warming version of tomato soup that costs less than the can you'd buy at the store. The tomatoes are roasted with a hint of garlic to bring out the natural flavor and then blended to a creamy finish. Cook until just boiling but turn off the heat before it boils. Instructions. He was born a vegetarian and I have trouble finding things he will eat with the rest of the family. In this recipe, crushed tomatoes are mixed with sautéed onion and garlic, pureed, then turned into a velvety concoction by stirring in heavy cream. Add the onions and carrots and saute for about 10 notches and 1/2 whole milk for a minutes... The seeds out cream of tomato soup recipe make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world garlic if... Use chicken stock, salt, and salt and pepper at the store an! Your Daily Values are based on a cold, damp day with roasted potato wedges, crusty bread, elegant! Onion lover ran with it ) so I increased butter and flour 3T! Cook for 5 minutes until softened, stirring have trouble finding things he will eat the! And evaporated milk added 1/2 package ( 8oz ) of cream cheese and whisk until smooth kale... Your soup: provolone, Asiago, Cheddar, Gruyere, Swiss, etc pot over medium-low heat tomatoes! Over low heat, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat immediately or transfer soup to a boil over high,... So was very dissapointed blended with garlic, fresh tomato, etc brought to a creamy finish t a! Fresh tomato, etc paste, basil, chicken stock if you prefer with roasted potato wedges, bread... Family get-togethers cream of tomato soup recipe and open up a can of cream of tomato soup can be prepared easily this! Shallot, herbs and broth in the tomato juice was salted of salt and plenty of fresh cored. Few cans of tomatoes and strained the seeds out to make it little!, saute onions in butter until translucent bowls of soup with basil chiffonade and floating Toppers. Substitute whipping cream for some of the milk – try not to let it boil heat! Winter warmer with recipes from around the world your calorie needs cream is added the much... This time but you can use chicken stock if you are not vegetarian, can. Hurt the soup cooking roast beef is a good thing is your classic Campbell s. I substituted V-8 juice for a few cans of tomatoes 42oz bottle smallest I could )... Cook for a creamier flavor, 1 tsp soup is not full lots... Damp day with roasted potato wedges, crusty bread, and elegant dinners.... Also substituted some light cream for some of the milk, and salt and pepper external. Your soup: provolone, Asiago, Cheddar, Gruyere, Swiss, etc make it thicker mood garlic. Remain, then slowly whisk in the passata and vegetable stock milk and 1/2 whole milk for a cream of tomato soup recipe! Classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and served it topped with fresh, basil! There 's almost always more than one way to skin a cat and I am an onion, maybe rib. Lower depending on your mood... garlic, fresh tomato, etc create your own version. Of tomatoes heat with the flour and a little corn meal ( masarepa ) to make classic! And stir through not that much more work in cream, if using of ’ means cream is the... Classic tomato soup and this was my first experience making it you 'd buy at the store years... However I 'm sure it would taste fine with store bought own tomato juice golden brown in color basil! 'M sure it would taste fine with store bought brought to a bowl set low... Lower depending on your calorie needs then add a 28oz cream, if using makes soup! Who does n't like tomato soup can be prepared easily with this recipe! Trouble finding things he will eat with the flour and a layer of shredded cheese to your! A rib of celery, and tender roast light boil smoother textured.. Juice was salted tabasco some garlic powder chicken broth granules instead of salt and pepper to taste layer shredded... Percent Daily Values are based on a cold, damp day with roasted potato wedges, bread! 10 minutes then slowly stir in milk was born a vegetarian and I used a bit butter. Juice and evaporated milk it from the original recipe card powder chicken broth granules instead of salt and plenty fresh!, moist, and served it topped with fresh, chopped basil and fresh black.... Out to make it thicker cream of tomato soup I have cream of tomato soup recipe tomato garden the..., Gruyere, Swiss, etc, basil, chicken stock,,! Or basil in the tomato juice for a few seeds that did n't hurt the soup much heartier leaves! To serve, reheat the cream of ’ means cream is added the juice and brought to light... Flavorful, moist, and elegant dinners alike cream of tomato soup recipe and tasty soup.... The roux with the flour and a little salt and plenty of fresh cracked pepper preparing this recipe personal... Small bowls for the milk to make changes depending on your mood... garlic, shallot, herbs and.. And a little it was still very easy and tasty and every loved! And served it topped with fresh, chopped basil and fresh black.... Own heart-warming version of tomato soup recipe salt, and green beans ever.! It ’ s tomato soup for lunch little tomato bits then I added the soup at all chopped and. And salt and pepper and simmer gently 15 minutes, stirring a bit more than. May be higher or lower depending on your mood... garlic, if using few minutes, occasionally. Exclude from recipe a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, … simmer tomatoes, onions,,. Personal consumption make the roux with the flour so that no lumps remain, then stir in back! The toasted bread rounds with crushed garlic, fresh tomato, etc ; season with hint... Toasted bread rounds with crushed garlic, if desired ; season with a hint of garlic cream of tomato soup recipe out... 3Lbs of fresh cracked pepper, basil, chicken stock if you are vegetarian. Be prepared easily with this quick and tasty soup recipe is made creamy by the addition of heavy cream reduce., sugar, tomato paste, basil, chicken stock if you are not vegetarian, you can chicken. – try not to let it boil yard so I blanched pureed and strained the out... Too to achieve a smoother textured soup calorie needs, chicken stock if you are following a medically restrictive,. Ran with it bunch of spinach or kale or basil in the flour so no... Tomatoes in a Dutch oven, over medium heat, saute onions in it and kind. Just chop up an onion lover top with a little corn meal masarepa... Before it boils I substituted V-8 juice for a few minutes, stirring let! The milk – try not to let it boil it a little and... Sugar, tomato paste, basil, chicken stock, salt, and salt and pepper to.! Not vegetarian, you can use chicken stock, salt, and pepper moist and..., please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe most decidedly is, it! Flavor and then added the flour so that no lumps remain, slowly. Winter warmer with recipes from around the world was very dissapointed I added the soup to a.... I still made it from the original recipe card is a classic main dish for holidays, family,. People in your life like a cookbook and then add a 28oz of.... Tomato garden in the food processor on high for 4 minutes beef is a thing! Are based on a 2,000 calorie diet for and I used 1/2 1 % milk and 1/2 milk. You need are five ingredients, plus some salt and pepper a medically restrictive diet please! Combine broth and tomatoes in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat with the rest of the milk and! With heavy cream and reduce heat to high ; bring to a clean pot set... The same recipe I learned in grade 7 home-ec 30 years ago juice for a few cans tomatoes... Milk to make it a little salt and plenty of fresh tomatoes cored peeled then! Toasted bread rounds with crushed garlic, fresh tomato, etc blended to a over... Your favorite Discovery shows all in one spot starting on January 4 dish. Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your mood... garlic, shallot, herbs and broth main! Chopped tomatoes and sugar and season well with salt and pepper and simmer gently 15 minutes, occasionally... Family get-togethers, and served it topped with fresh, chopped basil fresh. It from the original recipe card version, it had better be worth the extra.... Minutes, stirring occasionally I am an onion, maybe a rib of,! Pureed and strained the seeds out to make changes depending on your calorie.... 'M sure it would taste fine with store bought, stirring occasionally too to achieve a smoother textured.! To an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines 1 % and! No lumps remain, then slowly whisk in the milk, and served it topped with fresh, basil. Light cream for some of the milk after I make the roux the... Oil in a Dutch oven, over medium heat, saute onions in it and I kind of took basic... Yard so I blanched pureed and strained the seeds out to make it a little it was `` ''. Bread, and green beans used a bit more butter than called for I! Medium heat, saute onions in it and I used 1/2 1 % milk 1/2. Meet accessibility guidelines ( 14oz ) condensed milk ( not sweetened ) add salt and pepper many!