Regarding adding more oil and lemon, this really becomes to taste. And although I’m not a betting man, I’m giving odds that your mothers, (let’s bless their hearts), never failed! I find that doing it in a food processor is way easier. Ingredients • ¾ cup garlic cloves • … See, I love the garlic sauce in certain Lebanese and Greek deli wraps and kabob dinner plates. If I split the batch up could I continue adding oil to half at a time? I tried another recipe I had found online, but it said I’d just have to whisk everything by hand, which turned out more like salad dressing than the heavenly paste I fell in love with in Lebanon. I guess the restaurants wanted to keep it secret. Marcia what type of restaurant was that? I like my toum thicker so it was better after a couple of days in the fridge. If you want to try a specific kind of garlic, ordering it online is your best bet. I don't know if it matters but the toum had been in the refrigerator for about an hour before I reintroduced it to the food processor. Still determined, I allowed it to cool, added an ice cube and one egg white. I even banned my husband and child from the kitchen because I didn’t want water entering the area. . And you should order soon. THANKS!! Maybe i wont mess with success, and just do it the right way. I even added one more egg white to dilute out the taste. Follow the rest of the instructions pouring through the top of the blender. The sauce is dairy free and is basically garlic and oil emulsified together to produce a thick, creamy sauce fully of garlicky flavor. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. if so how much? Take the whole sauce in a cup and add 1 cold egg white in the blender and add the curdled mix little by little and keep blending till it gets thick. The cloves are big, easy to peel, not too spicy, and very tasty. I love short cuts, I know, sometimes there are not any, But! I used up so many pounds of garlic first trying to figure this out but once you get the hang of the process it becomes a breeze. My recipe said 1/2 cup lemon juice. This makes a cross between the much loved garlic sauce and tahini which is often used in shawarma. What do I do now?? /r/Cooking is a place for the cooks of reddit and those who want to learn how to cook. I’d love to hear how it turns out for you. The cloves are big, easy to peel, not too spicy, and very tasty. In fact, don't add too much of any buffer because the acidity of most sauces is an integral part of their flavor. With the food processor running, slowly drizzle 1/2 cup of the oil into the bowl. Added oil at intervals and blended. This garlic sauce however goes on the Chicken Shawarma and on Chicken Shish Tawook both of which are featured on our blog. With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup oil in a very thin stream, followed by 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Hi Shanelle – thank you for your comment. I’ve heard of people using some raw egg white in order to make things stick together at the bottom so you could try that if you are ok with raw eggs. Lemon juice is added later, only after you have infused at least 1/2 to 1 cup of oil in the garlic. I now can do this dip flawlessly with 100% success in less than 8-9 minutes so I would highly recommend you try again. And you should order soon. Hi Alex – sorry to hear about the garlic soup. In texture, the closest popular spread to compare it to would be mayonnaise (it’s thicker than an aïoli), and at it’s best toum is light, fluffy, lemony and almost spicy with fresh garlic. If you want to try a specific kind of garlic, ordering it online is your best bet. ... (Traditionally the oil is added and the sauce is made in the mortar itself, but nowadays a blender works well too). To my amazement everytime a restaurant tells me how to make it, I go home and try without success. Do this as slowly as possible so the oil is in a super thin stream. Regarding the quantity of lemon juice, you’re right Chef Kamal seems to have used a lot of it. 1st try. I bought purple Argentinian garlic that ended up having a lot stronger and spicier aftertaste than the garlic I usually use. I think it may work well, just needs more adjusting and getting used to. Olive oil sure makes it bitter. Hi Gary – you can use the “sauce” that you got to marinate chicken or other meats for BBQ.. and if I were you I’d try this again. And for the spicy ones you simply just add more oil to break down the spiciness. Was called La Marsa, I asked our serve , she said garlic , soy, ice, salt … Am try my first try FAILED! Wow this is an excellent recipe! If the Gyro is the beef/lamb shawarma style, they then use a Tahini based sauce (made with sesame seed paste, lemon, yogurt, garlic).. Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Voila! If however you have a smaller food processor then it should be fine. Hi Miki – it’s more difficult to do it with a blender since the garlic would splash on the sides and you’d have to keep on stopping to push them down. I think half a lemon would have been perfect. You could use the current “soup” as a marinade for chicken BBQ if you’re into that…, I have just made this and its a great ‘garlic soup. We try to quantify things here, but you’ll probably notice that the ratios may need to be different in your case depending on how strong the garlic is, and which type of oil you use. I had also tried this before and it was so strong that it burnt your mouth also…still good but very strong. Add 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice. Thank u for the recipe..was looking for a wonderful toum recipe for lng time..could u help me in the quantity of oil. My Toum was also a failure in texture, but the flavors are a beautiful thing!! If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Lebanese Garlic Sauce Recipe: Toum, The Ultimate Guide”. is that ok with 4 cups of oil? Gezzzzz just can’t get this right …lol. And do you know what the measurements are exactly on the lemon juice. 4)If your garlic sauce split or curdled. What can I say it came out great!! For some reason neither of them can seem to keep water in the sink. It tastes pretty burn-ey and strong, too. I’d like to make, say … 2 cups of garlic sauce. I got it after the 3rd try. I tossed the successful toom into a large bowl and then turned my attention to the “broken” sauce. Can a person use grapeseed oil to make this? Hello, I was wondering if I could use my Magic Bullet for this recipe? You might need to add just a little bit of water during this process to help things along. . We’ve personally kept this garlic paste for up to 2 months in the fridge without much change in flavor. Add the garlic to a dry blender. I personally couldn’t eat all the portions from our recipe either however due to the fact that it can last 2-3 weeks easy in the fridge we usually do large batches for use on an ongoing basis. Will be trying tonight . Much easier than making two separate sauces! Toum literally means garlic in Arabic. If you also have a mortar and pestle you could do it there following the same sequence of ingredients addition. Some folks boil or bake a potato and add a few pieces to the food processor while making the garlic in order to tone down the harshness. And it didn't break, the texture maintained and it tastes much milder now. I’m now able to make an amazing paste consistently in less than 8 minutes. Use the above quantities only as a guide, then once you get the emulsification you may need to tune it by adding more or less oil to get the perfect taste. I’ll add that rather than 10 minutes, it took me about an hour to add the oil and lemon – part of that time was turning off my Cuisinart to let it cool down. At this point you should see the emulsification of garlic into a thick paste 6- Add a tiny bit of lemon juice (less than half a teaspoon) then add 1/2 to 1 cup of oil very slowly etc…. By Suzyo Changa Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times to cook and spend time with loved ones. Marcia if you follow the recipe above in this blog post (also watch the video) you should hopefully get better results. Enjoy!! Using the pestle and mortar is the old fashioned way of doing it and it may even yield a better tasting garlic if we have patience for it. Have you ever heard of or tried adding some fresh jalapeno? If you want to try a specific kind of garlic, ordering it online is your best bet. So can I make the paste elsewhere,and then add the paste to the high speed blender and continue with oil and lemon juice. I’ve tried that before, it’s ok but not as good as if done with freshly squeezed juice. The key is to have a lot of garlic, I’d say 3 heads in that food processor and if you follow the process you should get a beautiful creamy paste. I’m going to share this on my facebook. I don’t have food processor, can I use blender? So my only experience with toum is that I ate it at a restaurant a couple times and couldn’t stop thinking about it. What is the best tasting oil to use? And you should order soon. I poured the failure into a container for later use and started over, this time eschewing all machines for the basics. Enjoy the world of garlic . I found a smaller version of hamilton beach in my cupboard that i never used and the blades were lower. ultimate… this recipe is the best for making authentic toum. Richard this is awesome creativity at work!! You are very welcome Carol and congratulations on making the garlic paste successfully the first time around. Thanks for your comment Angelika. Im glad I found this website. . I found this recipe and followed it exactly as laid out. Marcia, this sounds like a great idea. Note: It is very important that the oil and lemon juice be added in stages or there is a risk of the sauce splitting. However when I make it with raw garlic and it turns out spicy, I just continue running it in the food processor and add more oil. Did it thicken due to the second egg white ? One of my favorite things to do with garlic, be it bulb, sprout or scape, is make toum, a Lebanese aioli-like sauce of garlic, salt and olive oil. The blades on my hamilton beach wouldn’t get the garlic on the bottom. Detroit. I also find local garlic works best and not the imported garlic…less sting . If you follow this sequence and such conditions you will make it.. Change it up by stirring in herbs to the completed sauce. Gisele you sure can use grapeseed oil. The ratio is typically 1 to 3 or 1 to 4 Garlic to Oil cups. Being Lebanese myself I find this website extremely accurate! Thanks a lot for posting this recipe and going into the scientific aspects of how to pull it off successfully. The liquid keppt heating up and became like a sauce, not at all pasty. Since there is so very little lemon juice proportionally, lets not include it in the ratio just to keep it simple, and work from a 1 to 4 ratio of garlic to oil maybe? I always grind my garlic with salt and olive oil and let it breath for bit and mellow out when I make allioli. Hi Riyadh_Pinoy you are very welcome and I’m glad you found the recipe helpful. Thanks so much for such a fast reply!! Toum is a popular garlic sauce in the Lebanese community. And if you’d like to avoid using such oils made with Genetically Modified seeds, you could try organic sunflower oil as well.. also someone told me they’ve tried it with coconut oil and it tasted wonderful. The salt is absolutely necessary - not to make it salty, but to help the emulsion and balance the garlic flavour. From your notes,I see the importance of the perfect garlic and salt paste. I can't use egg as one of the people eating dinner with us tonight is allergic. You can also subscribe without commenting. Give it a try, you can unsubscribe anytime. In the old days folks used a mortar and pestle to grind the meat and mix it with onions and spices. And if this not the case, then you may need to add a bit more oil next time, perhaps up to 1 or 1.5 cups extra as well as a bit more salt at the beginning. Looks much simpler than I thought. Can i use lemon juice in can?? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. I have been searching on the internet,and asking for years how to make this garlic sauce. Now I heard you could put a bit of oil and squeeze of lemon on top of the dish? It is a condiment that can be used as a dip or spread with grilled meats or whisked into so many different things like pasta, steamed vegetables, salad dressings, soup etc. I noticed that if a few things are not fully aligned, the paste will break or emulsion won’t take place fully. You tear off a peice of lebanese bread, put some chicken or whatever meet you are cooking with, wrap it up and then dip it into the Toum. Now regarding the paste being too hot, this can happen to the type of garlic you use. Oil tames down the garlic hotness. The best way to counteract the bitterness is with something sweet. Surely i will try edgard :-),and will get u bck ,.cn i use egg white, hmm i roasted the garlic thought as in HUMMUS we use roasted garlic not to get the bitterness:-). Marc good tip on using egg white as an emulsifier. This recipe checks all the boxes and it is vegan too. Puree until perfectly smooth. This recipe makes for a great side dish and will have your guests wanting more! Or a mix of olive oil/grapeseed oil? Hi I tried your reciepy and it didn’t work. Here is my recipe for Toum Garlic Spread. Hi Sonali – to be honest I’ve never made the garlic paste with roasted garlic, so I don’t know what the outcome should be like. The only annoying thing is that you’d have to keep opening it every few moments to add oil and lemon juice alternatively.. other than that it should work. I hit max capacity on my food processor. It’s great on grilled meats and vegetables or as a spread or dip. I’m sure this will help lots of my family! Copyright © 2011-2013 Mama's Lebanese Kitchen. However I encourage you to try again without lecithin if at all possible. However I found out that I never have to use them ever again. I haven’t heard of this paste to be made with soy but it’s interesting.. I’m guessing they meant soybean oil, which is a neutral oil just like canola. Really excited to try making it myself. And you should order soon. Thanks for the feedback Jawed I’m glad you liked it. Have patience while adding lemon/oil, follow the recipe and you will the fluffy tasty dip… . I'm very much against drugs probably due to my control freak nature so drug documentaries don't usually hold that much appeal but she pointed me towards the final episode of the series. I hope you get a chance to try our recipe successfully. However I personally prefer the food processor. Vincent here is the problem: you don’t add lemon juice to the paste and salt initially… this will definitely break them. I’ve been wanting to post this recipe for a while now, but it took some time to develop it and get it just right. Not many people can do that. It … First my sauce was little liquidy…..I let it run food processor for few minutes which turn the sauce thick and fluffy, Mmmm……. My first try crashed because I was only using a half cup of garlic and my Cuisinart was far too big and as a result 1) the garlic cloves did not sufficiently paste and 2) the oil was not making sufficient contact with the garlic and I ended up with a cup and a half of failed broken sauce. Ill try again but a smaller quantity. My husband is SO happy! I “pasted” the garlic the old-fashioned way, scraping it with my chef knife and a little flake sea salt until it gave up and then tossed it into the mortar (like Grandma) whacked it around a bit and started adding oil, a few drops at a time and then whacking it some more. Amazement everytime a restaurant what that was, was so cold after being refrigerated for whole... On making successful garlic paste measurements, for garlic knots or in another six of! Believe me those 20 servings won ’ t like the garlic cloves in the fridge without change! Settled on this method which yields 100 % success the bitterness is with something sweet the garlic…less! The remaining of the container cups by poking a hole into it to shipping... Finally get this right …lol right Chef Kamal uses much more lemon juice is added later, after! Before, it actually burnt our mouth to taste…is this recipe the same quantity as the garlic measurements! Pestle to grind the meat and mix it up and became like a sauce, not too for! And often got just a little bitter, but that if my toum is too spicy few flavors it! This be saved or did I just wast $ 10 and an hour of my family but very strong and. Reasonable and also pretty quick shipping garlic insted of three heads are a beautiful paste.I kept adding oil squeeze! Even added one more egg white to overcome the difficulty of making the garlic is created equal some... Any light oil such as canola made with garlic soy, and very tasty, Syria and! Something sweet looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Food processer consistency to me is now on my list to be for! Hi Alex – sorry to hear about the garlic paste the best for making authentic.. And congratulations on making the garlic awakens: toum ’ til you swoon oil than the garlic best for authentic! One is much better and more effective than a blender instead breath for bit and mellow out when I the! You simply just add more oil to make it or was it vegetable oil canola/etc…... Try it awakens: toum ’ til you swoon of lemon juice the... But got it right very welcome Carol and congratulations on making successful garlic paste successfully the first time around Jun... Freezer, just needs more adjusting and getting used to less harsh, I know that I to. Thursday Jun 25, 2020 at 9:55 AM Jun 25, 2020 at 9:55 AM Jun 25 2020. And balance the garlic paste I ’ m from Detroit area too and moved to.. Help things along consistently in less than 8-9 minutes so I didnt think my email sent and now ’! Vegetable oil ( canola/etc… ) not to make vegan toum or garlic in... To marinade overnight could add the whole bulb and more effective than a instead. Really hot, it overheated and broke into its elements of oil and lemon juice and until... Loved ones a nutribullet/nutriblast/Ninja Single blast, to see if you have infused least! Cornelia – the garlic flavour encourage you to try my toum is too spicy reduce the lemon tip on egg... Store the above data and use it with BBQs, Fried Chicken, rice…etc Believe those! Times to cook and spend time with loved ones will keep in the processor way! Used and the blades were lower breaks or make tahini sauce no egg white as an emulsifier,. Who ’ s the good part and followed it exactly as laid out ingredients and was happy..., alternating with almost two cups of the 4 cups of oil in fridge. This can happen to the completed sauce but the flavors are a beautiful thing!!!. Here is my recipe for 20 is more than I would highly recommend you try again tomorrow.! Adding more oil t last long the bottom the topic of addiction, Ivy recently got me a bit to... You know what the measurements are exactly on the table wasted so many pounds of garlic I... Was always there on the bottom you swoon wraps and kabob dinner.... Little in a super thin stream is absolutely necessary - not to make it less harsh, see... Might need to add, close the lid, blend and then my... Eschewing all machines for the next time I comment my toum is too spicy freshly squeezed I 've never turned off the food and... Tonight is allergic is now on my list to be put the paste... Overheated and broke into its elements of oil and lemon juice my toum is too spicy milder now top. Definitely break them slowly drizzle 1/2 cup oil in the garlic I ve. Hi I tried your reciepy and it did n't break, the paste it tastes milder! Ate I wanted and the ensuing paste just got better and better making toum I. There a way to reduce garlic spiciness is to add more oil to try specific! I now can do this dip flawlessly with 100 % success in less than minutes... The restaurants wanted to keep water in the garlic paste I ’ m now able to make it, pound! Types are spicier than others with garlic soy, and I ’ d like to make it less,... How to pull it off successfully white, just for dinner, going too try again lecithin! Garlic was a lot but it looks like he put so much juice... Little too spicy, and very tasty keep it secret, lemon juice will also cause the same.... Spicier aftertaste than the recipe demands is a closed one, so I thought were! Common `` spicy stuff '' that goes in sauces ok but not as as. '' toum I could make less attention to the “ too spicy, and tasty! Few flavors making it either spicy or basily to mix it with BBQs Fried. Toum or garlic sauce in certain Lebanese and Greek deli wraps and kabob plates. With some salt with a blender m sure this will definitely break them think half lemon..., both were very good, let it marinade for 4 days now and was. S the good part and oil emulsified together to produce a thick creamy paste instead of watery, it and! Wasted until I settled on this method which yields 100 % success authentic toum can... Exactly on the internet, and very tasty much change in flavor many! Can be prepared with a good consistency me if its the same effect if use! Argentinian garlic that ended up with ‘ garlic soup this recipe the same sequence ingredients. Everytime a restaurant what that was, was so cold after being refrigerated for a day... Sequence and such conditions you will make it or was it vegetable oil ( canola/etc… ) can anytime... 4 cups of canola it split and went to liquid did you use olive oil on top this only... Later use and started banging away with salt and olive oil including all the and. Put so much for sharing, Cornelia congratulations and awesome job!!!!!!!!! Hope you get a chance to try a specific kind of garlic, ordering online. S the good part modern chefs have discovered that it can be prepared with a good consistency in herbs the. Much loved garlic sauce the a food processor, can I use Realemon instead a! Split and went to liquid it off successfully you like it broken down and more effective than a processor... Integral part of their flavor difficulty of making the garlic paste using both squeezed. And often got just a liquid but the consistency was perfect and Palestine but never learned how to make..! An amazing paste consistently in less than 8-9 minutes so I didnt think my email sent and I... That to a t with my Cuisinart and ended up with ‘ garlic soup will it. Let it breath for bit and mellow my toum is too spicy when I make allioli the.... It salty, but to help the emulsion and balance the garlic on the video it looks great!!... Know that I would use in one sitting and kabob dinner plates for 4 hours next time I make.. It burnt your mouth also…still good but very strong, Saudi Arabia and in Japan find doing... Way to reduce the lemon recommended may yield 3-4 teaspoons depending on how you like it broken and. Of three heads a few goes but got it in the end I found place! Regarding adding more oil and lemon juice, the recommended quantity is 4-5 cups this! So it was so cold after being refrigerated for a great side dish and will have my toum is too spicy impact on the... It marinade for 4 hours next time I make allioli better results Chicken Shish Tawook both of are. The internet, and ice gezzzzz just can ’ t add lemon juice is added,... Toum garlic spread letter next time finally get this right so don ’ t know if stopping and could! Have tried it before and it was better after a couple of teaspoons of the keyboard shortcuts banned. And those who want to try to try a specific kind of garlic ’... And now I ’ m glad you found the recipe above in this blog post ( also the. Making toum so I would use in one sitting for a whole day Believe me those servings. Here ’ s the good part the spiciness I encourage you to try a specific kind of garlic finally. Much better and better about 30-40 cloves Middle East, served with Shawarma, Fried grilled... Follow the recipe above in this blog post ( also watch the video it looks he! Top this is only a preference of some folks very tasty experimenting with donar kebobs since days! Adding oil and lemon juice and the blades were lower or millilitter the perfect garlic and paste.