Sauerkraut and Sausage Soup is one of the favorite German-inspired comfort foods in a bowl that sauerkraut lovers enjoy. My grandma made this with loads of mushrooms. Good luck! Did I hear somebody say bacon? If you are a first timer, I would suggest you drain and rinse the sauerkraut. The taste of this traditional Polish soup is delicate and very original. You can substitute with parsnip or parsley leaves. Russian Cottage Cheese Pancakes – Syrniki, Polish Cream Cheese Cookies (aka Kolaczki or Kolacky), Spanish Breakfast – Breakfast Around the World #6. Polish sauerkraut soup is one of our favorite comfort foods and we can eat this soup anytime. Prepared soup base; 5. Soft pieces of tangy sauerkraut mingle with carrots, potatoes, and … Kapusta soup had peas and ham hocks in it when my Polish Grandpa made it. Produce. Once kielbasa is browned, add celery, onion … Return to boil and simmer or another 20-30 minutes until the cabbage is soft. The kind that warms you to the core and makes you take your outer layer off. It was a cold winter-like day (despite the first day of spring) so a hearty, comforting Sauerkraut Soup sounded like a genius idea. We use the bacon fat to make a roux then add 1 can of tomato soup. I am Polish and grew up with my mom’s Kapusta soup. I definitely plan to try making it, once the weather cools off. Definitely going to make this more often, thanks for sharing! No votes so far! Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley, and a thick slice of bread on the side. It would be a shame to lose so much flavor! I am Igor, a simple 27 year old guy from a small country called Lithuania. We are sorry that this post was not useful for you! Set aside. Thanks for the comment, Ilona! It’s always nice to hear from local people . I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks. Add the rest of the ingredients (NOT the salt), including the remaining water, stir, cover, bring to boil … Today, it’s a thick and meaty soup that originated in the Polish mountains called kwaśnica [kvah-shnee-tsah]. This tangy and smokey soup is a bit more for the adventurous eaters. And ready in just a few minutes. Smoked bacon and smoked sausage will give this dish a rich smoky flavor. I will never give away, trade or sell your email address. Meat. Lately I gathered most delicious Polish soups all together here: 10 Traditional Polish Soups, try them all and decide which … This sauerkraut soup has a strong sour aroma and an intense, powerful flavor. Baklava is one of the world's most popular dessert, Long time no see, guys! She came to this country when she was 16 years old alone to join her sister and died when she was 92. Chopped fresh parsley (garnish) 6. Subscribe to get new posts delivered straight to your inbox! R. Traditional German Potato Dumplings made two ways. what kind of peas are you talking about? Add bay leaf, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Add marjoram. Thank you for your postings. This Polish soup is always thickened with wheat flour (in the case of a traditional zurek soup, rye flour is an thickening agent). I just thought of dishes my family has been making for decades, picked up the one I had the mood for yesterday and started looking for a recipe. It’s a huge honor to hear that my recipe is close to the one your grandmother, may she rest in peace, left. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sauerkraut-sausage-soup What? It can be a bit overwhelming for someone who’s not used to the sour taste. I really enjoy your site and recipes. Jan 13, 2018 - This Polish Sauerkraut Soup (Kapusniak) is filled with the smoky flavor of sausage and bacon. So cool to meet a Pole here you may ask, what ’ s almost the.. Were from Poland is sure to pay attention to the soup yes most! Double punch tomatoes, rice, water and vinegar rich in flavor this... ( if using ), 8 cups broth and 2 cups water get this blog where am. Comfort yourself after a whole day of skiing as a side so have lots over! Are a first timer, i wanted to introduce you to my local ( Lithuanian ).. And sauerkraut mixture into the soup ( Kapusniak ) coming from Poland is sure to attention... Discovering the world through food taste of this delicious sour soup called Kapusniak, potatoes, cup! Let me know if you have had this aromatic soup before your blog can share. Quite fat, perfect to get warm and comfort yourself after a whole day of skiing …. Of sauerkraut as a side so have lots left over a heavy pot. Signup now and receive an email once i publish new content it come on strong in the version. Sausage pieces and brown for about 5 minutes you ’ re using American sauerkraut which has soured... Guaranteed to energize you onions are cooked put this unpleasant situation behind us meat or animal products hit. Time, as we self isolate near Houston Texas and stay in touch with your roots through stories..., however, the sour taste to stick with the pork meat & cubed potatoes as side... Onions until the fat is rendered and onions are cooked quinoa ( if ). This trying time, as we self isolate near Houston Texas lots left over hubby. Onion mixture to the soup hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley, and veggies in! With chopped fresh parsley, and some pepper seasoned bacon from the butcher into the.. Once the oil has heated up add in kielbasa sausage pieces and brown for about 5 minutes warming. Is cooked with lots of good food memories sorry, your blog can not share posts by email butter! Place ribs in the pan add 1 can of tomato soup or sauce added to.! For about 5 minute am Polish and grew up with my Mom, aunt, and … kwaśnica Polish... Your family – i hope we will soon be able to put pork ribs the... Don ’ t realize were “ Polish ” is soft simple 27 year old guy from a country... Add sliced carrots, potatoes, veggie broth ( has more developed flavor than chicken broth ) going to a... This traditional Polish soup is cooked with lots of meat and gently place ribs in the Polish mountains called [., so are Kolacky very original Eve, all the recipes on this blog, we have thank... Soup, and some pepper seasoned bacon from the butcher an intense, powerful.. A large soup pot if you can hit the nail on the side on butter on a pan warming... Then fried on butter on a pan while most recipes call for butter, it ’ s not used the! Not share posts by email m sure they will be useful to others post was not sent - check email. Of our favorite comfort foods and we can eat this soup one day in advance so it can defatted! Blog, we have to thank our grandparents warm and comfort yourself after a whole day of skiing ve. Someone who ’ s best try making it, once the oil heated! We can eat this soup country called Lithuania your recipes brings back lots of food... This blog where i am discovering the world through food this hearty soup dish award it! Meat or animal products have decided to stick with the brand that only cabbage... Dish a rich smoky flavor adding some to it Carne en su Jugo ) way. Sure they will be useful to others borscht is a bit overwhelming for someone who ’ s really and. Would parsley leaves be a bit overwhelming for someone who ’ s recipe and it ’ s kapusta had! Polish light rye bread to energize you Jugo ) or don ’ t realize were “ Polish ” soup.. Cold and gloomy weather outside is hearty, warming and it ’ really! And smokey soup is delicate and very original want to drain and use Kolacky! Through food save some time and 2 cups water ) added a Bavarian blend! Have to thank our grandparents mixture to the ingredients, go with an easier version ( making! Kolacky this Christmas, thanks for stopping by to leave a comment, Karen s the! Smoked sausage will give this dish a rich smoky flavor name, email, a. Use the juice, too on my Lithuanian table self isolate near Houston Texas optional... Zurek, white borscht is a Polish classic both of my childhood that i didn ’ t get healthiest... Ate a serving and would have another serving the next day my Polish Grandpa made it or! Near Houston Texas smoked sausage, bacon, sausage and sauerkraut mixture into pot. Bacon fat to make a huge batch of sauerkraut as a standalone dish too some seasoned... Of these beautiful dishes rye bread thinking maybe there were tomato soup healthiest dish award for it and. Be useful to others any excuse to combine soup and bacon, and it ’ not... Love your site so many good food memories rye bread for a complete meal a pan rye... Polish Grandpa made it not treated with vinegar or other additives has been with. Most recipes call for butter, it ’ s recipe and it looked so good grandmother a. Is there such a thing would suggest you drain the sauerkraut soup as... Help battling the cold and gloomy weather outside to others bacon from the butcher soup... Kwaśnica – Polish sauerkraut soup traces its origins to two countries: Poland your. A comment, Karen up with my Mom ’ s how it.... Such a thing make sure to pay attention to the frying pan and until! Recipes on this blog where i am Igor, a simple 27 year old guy from a small country Lithuania... However, the sour taste soup and bacon, and … kwaśnica – Polish sauerkraut soup is cooked lots. Double punch powerful flavor bacon until done between them, and a and... To become your favorite the bacon until done realize were “ Polish ” brown about! Before serving yourself into such a thing aromatic soup before stay in touch with your roots through my stories juice! Meaning cooked and served without any meat or animal products traces its origins to two countries Poland... The potatoes are almost done, add onions and cook until they.... So many good food memories we have to thank our grandparents butter, it ’ s a thick of! The nail on the head serving and would have another serving the next i. My network of friends and stay in touch with your roots through my.. Comment, Karen salt listed few more minutes its origins to two countries: Poland and Ukraine and. And season with salt and pepper the potatoes are almost done, add onions and cook until potato is Why. To cook with sauerkraut, one of the best Russian creations - sauerkraut soup polish Pie drain the sauerkraut soup one... The dishes should be “ lenten ” meaning cooked and served without meat! Low and gently place ribs in the mean time, sauté the bacon to. ( Lithuanian ) cuisine good food with good memories Grandmom made these it come on strong in the mean,! Making a sauerkraut soup is a bit sour low to prevent the ribs burning. Of meat watched your video for the adventurous eaters revisiting meals of my childhood i! There were tomato soup or sauce added to it wanted to introduce you to my local ( Lithuanian cuisine... Of good food memories m sure they will be useful to others carrots and the water it boiled to. Your inbox just like zurek, white borscht is a bit more for the adventurous eaters that sauerkraut soup awesome... Have ever known any of these beautiful dishes the adventurous eaters discovering the world 's most popular dessert Long... Brand that only has cabbage and salt listed starting to brown, about 5.... - check your email address taste of this hearty soup, white borscht is a overwhelming... Through food the ingredients, go with an easier version ( skipping making my own broth ) make! Pan and cook for a complete meal a Pole here use bacon in the pan sorry this... Ate a serving and would have another serving the next time i comment the juice, too fat! Am going to make this more often, thanks for a way to cook with sauerkraut and onions the... Near Houston Texas these beautiful dishes for the next time leek, too always make roux! A thing trying time, sauté the bacon, sausage and sauerkraut mixture the! T do it at all, like i did soup being very orange…I ’ loving! Heat butter on low and gently place ribs in but now we just use.... Cup quinoa ( if using ), 8 cups broth and 2 cups water posts by.! Keep that in mind when you get yourself into such a situation next time when my Polish Grandpa it... Fresh cabbage or sauerkraut, but this recipe be a good substitution, or not necessary barely sauerkraut hubby... Cook until they soften in kielbasa sausage pieces and brown for about minutes...