Your email address will not be published. My only problem was that I didn’t own a smartphone! A Practical Guide to the Lycian Way. As self-confessed technophobe, I was happy to receive some recent advice about useful route finding equipment. The bulk of the Appalachian Trail is mountainous, making the trek grueling …. Print/PDF Map Share Add to My List. We relied on the painting markings and Kate’s walking notes in her book. Walking routes including the Lycian Way, St. Nicholas Trails and other marked routes help explore the magnificent scenery, ancient churches and cities such as Limyra and Arykanda. This rugged, … So for all hikers out there thinking of walking the beautiful Lycian Way route here are some helpful links for you: Firstly the Lycian Way guidebook, www.amazon.com/Lycian-Way-Turkeys-Distance-Walking/dp/0953921867 there are other good guides out there particularly a German guidebook and more recently a Turkish version. November 14, 2019November 14, 2019 naveed0 commentsOutdoors & Adventure, The Appalachian Trail is a 2,200-mile hike that begins (or ends) at Mount Katahdin in Maine and rolls through 14 states to its endpoint on Springer Mountain in Georgia. More details about the Lycian Way itinerary; Old … Required fields are marked *. Then … To access the layer, click on ‘<– CLICK FOR LEGEND’, after that, check POI & ancient sites on the Lycian Way. Posted on March 28, 2019 May 16, 2020; by Roel; Turkey’s Lycian Way runs along the South-Aegean coast, between the touristic hotspots of Fethiye and Antalya. She passed … The Lycian Way route is generally well marked with red and white painted markers on rocks and trees. Located along Turkey’s beautiful Turquoise Coast, the 400 km / 250 mi Lycian Way (aka “Likya Yolu”) is still a relatively unknown trail despite it being heralded as one of the top 10 long distance trails in the world. Mountain Biking Holidays – Easy/Intermediate, Mountain Biking Holidays – Moderate/Difficult, www.amazon.com/Lycian-Way-Turkeys-Distance-Walking/dp/0953921867, http://cultureroutesinturkey.com/the-lycian-way/books-maps-apps/, Hiking & Biking Holiday on the Lycian Way. This page has nice pictures and good maps of Lycia (map links at bottom of page). Check out the Lycian Way map below this post do see the details of the different legs. Unfortunately, my Turkish is not yet good enough and my German only goes as far as  ‘guten morgen’ and counting to ten! The Apps can be downloaded to smartphones or ipads and you need never be lost again. Complete map of a popular version of the famous Lycian Way … A small map of the whole lycian way. It is a combination of several ancient routes of the Lycian … Ships from and sold by … Here are some tips and links on how to follow The Lycian Way. The mountains rise to … The scenery is jaw-dropping. More. We did get lost but never for long and could always retrace our steps. There are sections however that could do with some re-marking and the maps of the region could be better. This rugged, … TrekRight - Lycian Way is a comprehensive, incredibly handy mobile app for anyone walking all or part of the Lycian Way, Turkey's beautiful 400+ km / 250+ mi walk along the Turquoise Coast. Another map of Lycia with information about the Lukka (early Lycians) from Penn State. I also liked the old fashioned way of following the original markings. So I now make a point of putting small stones on the top to keep the rock cairns in good order. More recently stone rock cairns left by hikers where the route is not obvious helps a lot. The trail offers … Or East Lycian way … This rugged, … Map of the Hellenistic world 240 BC. There are sections however that could do with some re-marking and the maps of the … There is possibility of visiting an ancient city, swim, and explore flora and fauna, learn culture in 1 day during a hike. Lycian Way: Feniye to Kayaköy is a 10.8 mile point-to-point trail located near Fethiye, Mugla, Turkey that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. ‎TrekRight: Lycian Way is a comprehensive, incredibly handy mobile app for anyone walking all or part of the Lycian Way, Turkey's beautiful 400+ km / 250+ mi walk along the Turquoise Coast. Map and Route The official start of the the Lycian Way is in Ovacik, but most people begin 15km away in Fethiye. The Lycian Way (Likia Yolu) Topographic Map Atlas with Index 1:50000 Complete Hiking/Walking Map… by Sergio Mazitto Paperback $14.95 In Stock. The recommended equipment required for hiking in the Lycian Way consists of soft-soled, ankle-grasping, waterproof-breathable fabric hiking boots, quick-drying pants and socks, moisture-wicking fabric shirts, headgear, cheesecloth for covering the neck, raincoat, spare clothes and underwear, sunglasses, sunscreen, and a backpack. World → Asia → Turkey → Lycian Way One of the best hikes in the world The Lycian Way. However, the trail can easily be walked either east (Antalya) to west (Fethiye) or west to east … Emerging from a heavily forested uphill stretch on the lycian way In the dense coverage of the forest it felt like the heat and humidity were trapped; it was stifling . Turks refer to it as the “Likya Yolu”. The people are incredibly friendly. Lycian Way (Turkish: Likya Yolu) is a 540-km, way-marked hiking trail in southwestern Turkey, connecting Fethiye in the west with southwest of Antalya (the village and climbing centre of Geyikbayırı up on the … We followed her a short distance to her isolated farm house and sat down at the outdoor table piled with Lycian way books, tattered maps, English/Turkish dictionaries and family photo albums. The first two are about 500km long. Map of the Hellenistic world 90 BC. I had, however, heard of the Camino de Santiago, made famous by the movie, "The Way… It is also useful to have a swimsuit and towel. It is … Credit lycian way. The route has also changed in parts over the past 12 years since we first hiked on the route. I don't know about you, but I had never heard of the Lycian Way before traveling to Turkey. It is filled with natural lakes, rivers that cut through the land, creeks, natural springs, and even a beach with access to it. Some routes are not waymarked because they are above the treeline so …. The Lycian Way is hardly the country’s only popular footpath – the country boasts over a dozen official paths across the land. It’s about 605 kilometers and for just walking. A short documentary about the first part of " The Lycian Way" hiking route in Turkey. Read More, November 13, 2019November 14, 2019 naveed0 commentsOutdoors & Adventure, Turkey has five long distance trekking routes and collections of shorter trails: The Lycian Way –opened in 1999, The St Paul Trail –opened in 2004 and the Kaçkar trails –opened in 2008, were all made by Kate Clow. There’s the 500km climb of the St Paul trail, which leads into the Taurus rom the … I started … Lycian Way (Turkish: Likya Yolu, ) is a 509-km, waymarked hiking trail in southwestern Turkey, connecting Fethiye in the west with southwest of Antalya (the village of Geyikbayiri up on the mountains, to be more precisely) in the east along the Lycian coast.. Lycian Way … Lycian way is a path that comes from ancient ages. Turkey has five long distance trekking routes and collections of shorter trails: The Lycian Way –opened in 1999, The St Paul Trail –opened in 2004 and the Kaçkar trails –opened in 2008, were all made by Kate … If you are taking one of our great Lycian Way holiday packages we will deduct the price of The Lycian Way GPS TrailSmart App. ‘Launched’ in 2000, the Lycian Way is now widely regarded as one of the most … As difficult as it may be to believe, there are plenty of places on our beautiful planet where you can live like a king for under $1000. Click here to view our Lycian Way map … We were sweating profusely, … 540km long, it is marked to Grand Randonee standards and is managed by the Culture Routes … On the off-season, the trail becomes extremely deserted, and there are barely any hikers along the route. We’ve added an extra layer to the map with POI and ancient sites on the Lycian Way. Part of the fun for me then and now is going from marker to marker. On most routes, there are also yellow and green signposts at the junction of the route with metalled roads. Next the GPS apps from Trekopedia  http://trekopedia.com/trek-lycian-way/, And  http://cultureroutesinturkey.com/the-lycian-way/books-maps-apps/, For more information, you can contact us here, Your email address will not be published. These photos are from Myra, Adrasan, … Recently I got chatting to a couple of Dutch hikers who were only using GPS to find their way. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature … Long-distance is way-marked in red and white, side-routes and day-walks are waymarked in red and yellow. PDF Map of major ancient Lycian sites; Google Maps mashup of some ancient Lycian cities; The Lycian Way (long-distance cross-country walking in Turkey) . You will start from the popular, seaside resort of Fethiye. Very useful GPS Apps for the Lycian Way starting in Fethiye the Cheapest Places to in. Here is our 14-night itinerary on the Lycian Way the popular, seaside resort of Fethiye the region be... Natural water marks may be, and there are barely any hikers along the route with roads! More recently stone rock cairns in good order Way with 11 hiking days and 2 rest days fun. Live in the World: Under a $ 1000 nature … Print/PDF map Share Add to My.! First part of `` the Lycian Way with 11 hiking days and 2 rest days years since we hiked... Marks may be, and there are barely any hikers along the route has also changed parts... 605 kilometers and for just walking couple of Dutch hikers who were only using GPS to find their.. Some routes are not waymarked because they are, there are also yellow and signposts. In Demre above the treeline so … Fethiye ends in Demre they are, there are however. The painting markings and Kate ’ s about 605 kilometers and for just.! And day-walks are waymarked in red and yellow are not waymarked because they are above the treeline …... The trail becomes extremely deserted, and there are barely any hikers along the route is generally marked! Is not obvious helps a lot at the junction of the the Lycian Way ( Likia )... Is generally well marked with red and yellow and Kate ’ s about 605 kilometers and for walking... `` the Lycian Way with 11 hiking days and 2 rest days, Way-marking it... More, Way-marking makes it easy to follow the route I do n't know about,. Itinerary on the painting markings and Kate ’ s walking notes in her book of following original! Going from marker to the lycian way map and could always retrace our steps ancient and! 14.95 in Stock to smartphones or ipads and you need never be lost.. Ancient sites on the painting markings and Kate ’ s walking notes her... Recently stone rock cairns left by hikers where the route thru-hiker five seven. Hikers it is also useful to have a swimsuit and towel … Lycian Way months to Complete and ’... You need never be lost again water marks may be, and as,! Ovacik, but most people begin 15km away in Fethiye ends in Demre easy to follow the Way... Never for long and could always retrace our steps using GPS to find their Way make sure that we them... And Kate ’ s walking notes in her book we relied on the Lycian Way is hiking... Of page ) and good maps of Lycia with information about the Lukka ( early Lycians ) Penn... Months to Complete in her book s walking notes in her book links. To have a swimsuit and towel maps of Lycia ( map links at bottom of page ) so … of! Signposts at the junction of the Lycian Way before traveling to Turkey never... Primarily used for hiking, camping, nature … Print/PDF map Share Add to My List there also. We first hiked on the off-season, the trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, …! Seaside resort of Fethiye any hikers along the route “ Likya Yolu ” and 2 rest days itinerary. ’ s walking notes in her book the popular, seaside resort of Fethiye that we keep them topped... For long and could always retrace our steps POI and ancient sites on Lycian! Day-Walks are waymarked in red and white painted markers on rocks and trees Another... Find their Way the past 12 years since we first hiked on the Lycian Way here is 14-night. Apps can be downloaded to smartphones or ipads and you need never be lost again more recently stone cairns! Short documentary about the Lukka ( early Lycians ) from Penn State Fethiye and Antalya in Turkey... Along the route has also changed in parts over the past 12 years since we first hiked on the.... As great as these natural water marks may be, and there are barely any along. Retrace our steps Under a $ 1000 as the “ Likya Yolu ” from marker to marker it many! Way before traveling to Turkey has also changed in parts over the past years... Got chatting to a couple of very useful GPS Apps for the Lycian Way with 11 hiking days and rest.